[WCNA2020] WCNA 2020 Notes from last night meeting // WCNA 2020 Notes de la réunion d'hier soir

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 06:26:12 EST 2020

Great work all! The grant is looking much better with the $88k ask.

I've made a number of enhancement edits that I'll describe below. More
importantly, I think we should make some critical edits before final
submission:

1. BRAG. BRAG BIG - Have you ever met "Chen" from WMF before? I know I
haven't. So assume that the readers of the grant don't know anything about
you. They don't know what we look like. They don't know whether we are
experienced or newbies. They don't know you, WMCA, helped pull off
Wikimania 2017. So we need to paint in bold strokes and brag about
ourselves. It's the only way to get WMF to pay attention.

- Mention your role in Wikimania 2017! I don't see any mention of that
currently
- I have written briefly about BANQ and Culture Crawl, but you should put
in a graf about WMCA activities. Even just cutting and pasting and linking
to your annual report will work here. Mention the Strategy 2030 magic words
of Knowledge Equity and underserved communities with WMCA's work with First
Nations groups, etc. I put this in, but please feel free to edit:

"WikiConference North America 2020 is a continuation of the annual
conference and embraces even more the idea of inclusion and knowledge
equity by embracing First Nations and Francophone content."

It took us a while as WCNA to remember to brag about ourselves. Constantly.
It took the WMF really disappointing us with a surprise gap in funding for
us to wake up to this – WE ARE THE constant, change-making force in the
community and WMF needs to be continually reminded of this fact. Especially
as their grant officers come and go, and we know for a fact they have a
very short-attention span.

2. PHOTOS, VISUALS - It may seem shallow, but I cannot imagine WMF
rejecting a grant that is full of photos showing specifics - venue, team,
GLAM partners, etc. I would add as many as you can. Maybe take a look at
our 2019 report for some ideas on visuals. Feel free to incorporate any/all
that are useful too.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_North_America/2019#Event_team

Suggestions:
- Photo of Wikimedia Canada board or the team that is running the
conference.
- Photo from 2017 showing the WMCA crew that pulled off Wikimania 2017 to
show you have done a big conference before
- Photos of previous WMCA events that would inspire or be similar to events
at WCNA2020? Show that you have a rich history of events, collaborations,
GLAM stuff, indigenous languages work
- Photo of UT, even if it's not the specific facilities but outside of
buildings and examples of the types of facilities we will have.
- Photo/maps/illustrations of logistics - locations of UT, airport,
proposed GLAM entities

3. TEAM - Even if we don't know for sure, we should replace all the TBCs
with some type of name. Safe Space is easy - put in at least three names,
but this can change later. You can put at least one of us from the core
WCNA team on that list. Put one name for volunteer coordination (this can
change later!) and one for comms. Just don't give WMF a reason to think we
have missing info.

4. VENUE AND LOGISTICS - If you have time, put in some more info on Venue
and Logistics like UT space, airport, GLAM map here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Conference/WMCA/WikiConference_North_America_2020#Venue_and_Logistics

5. ENDORSEMENTS - We'll need to really solicit folks to add endorsements,
do you have any ideas on places to do this? I would think:
- WCNA 2019 Telegram group
- Facebook groups
Others?

Email: andrew at andrewlih.com