[WCNA2020] WikiConference North-America Toronto 2020 : Start discussions

Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight rosiestep.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 17:29:01 EST 2020

Stacy, I would.

Regarding lessons learned from previous years:

   - It requires a lot of volunteers to put on an event such as WCNA, with
   attendees from multiple countries. To the extent possible, getting
   volunteers involved early is they key. Have specific roles, e.g. Volunteer
   Coordinator. Logistics Coordinator, Branding Coord, etc. (I can provide a
   long list.)
   - Find free venue as soon as possible. Someone from the Core Team needs
   to do Site Visit early. Start scheduling calls with the point of contact at
   the venue, e.g. at least once a month in order to sort out the many details.
   - Core Team should decide which day/time is best for most of them and
   get that call scheduled weekly so it's on everyone's calendar. If there's
   nothing to discuss in a particular week, cancel it.
   - Programs Committee and Scholarship Committee have big
   responsibilities. Get those sorted out early.

Regarding risks:

   - Safety issues
   - Funding

Maybe Andrew, Kevin, Richard have more to add to these sections. Sorry for
brevity but I just drove 4 hours to get to a conference in San Francisco,
and the session I'm facilitating starts soon.

Best,

Rosie

Rosie Stephenson-Goodknight

Visiting Scholar, Northeastern University, Boston

Vice-President, Wikimedia District of Columbia

Co-founder, Women in Red
<http://rosiestep.com>

rosiestep.com

<http://womeninjournalism.org>